Current Top Sellers
- Designed to plug right into the stock mount
- Use this and your stock sondors battery on the same ride (switch them out when one dies)
- Get better performance and 50 percent more range
- Only 6 pounds (lighter than stock pack)
- Made up of 40 Premium Panasonic Cells
- High performance BMS 25amp continuous and 50 amp burst BMS
- Battery Measurements: 12.5" x 3.5" x 3.5"
Need to figure out what size and type of battery you will need? Read our Story on Ebike Math
This is a bottle battery designed to replace the Sondors Ebike battery without changing any of your hardware.
You can use this in addition to your stock Sondors pack, just carry one pack in a back pack when you do extra long rides.
Just click the old battery out and click this one in. It's that easy.
This battery comes in various cell types, which includes 13.5ah - some of which is over 50 percent larger than the Sondors Ebike 9ah pack.
This pack is made up of the highest quality power density cell in the market which is the Panasonic 3400 ncrb and Panasonic 3500 GA which has both power and density.
Each cell is made from well known factory Panasonic, and each has more capacity than any 18650 on the market.
Add a 2 amp charger for $30 however the stock Sondors charger will also work.
This battery will only increase the range by 50% not the power of your ebike. It will not overvolt the motor or stress the controller in any way.
(click here for an article on upgrading your Sondors ebike)
Luna Cycles builds its packs with the finest BMS (battery management system) available so that you can plug in your battery and not worry about over charging. Your cells are automatically balanced by the internal BMS in the battery. Our BMS includes such features as temperature over heat protection and advanced cell balancing. These features not only get the maximum performance out of your bms they also keep your battery from getting to low, charging too high, or getting too hot and will automatically shut off your pack if it senses something is wrong.
Installation and basic info
1. My battery pack stopped charging, what should I do?
2. My battery is reading (any #) volts, how much life is left before I need to recharge?
3. How should I upgrade my battery for longer range?
4. How can I increase my range without replacing my battery?
5. How long should i leave the pack plugged in?
6.How do i know when it is fully charged?
7.Are there things I can do to best care for the battery and prolong its life?
8. Why does my charger have a different voltage than the battery listed on the label?
1. Often if this happens it is due to the anti-spark feature built into the BMS. Say you did not properly make a connection somewhere and the wires sparked, the BMS would shut itself down to prevent damage to the system. If this happens the first thing you always want to do is to try resetting the BMS by using your charger to try charging through the discharge connector for a few seconds, maybe a minute. You just run a jumper (basically regular wires) from the charger's connector to the battery's discharge contact, making sure you go positive>positive and negative>negative. At Luna we call this jump starting it, instructions can be found here: /jumping-your-lu...-battery-pack
2. This is a 36v nominal pack. As seen in the chart below this pack is full at ~41V and empty at ~32V. For long battery life try to keep voltage at least between 40-32.9V (A charge percentage of between 90%-10%)
3. There is an excellent article on the Luna Cycles knowledge base about increasing the range of a Sonders bike. You can find it by clicking here
4. Here is an article that offers some good advise for increasing range. You can find it here
5. Well you should leave it plugged in until it is charged or maybe a little bit before it is fully charged, optimally you want it to be within a range of voltage/charge percentage equaling something like 80 to 90%, perhaps a bit lower if storing for a long time such as over the winter. This will optimize it for the longest amount of cycle life. You can still charge to 100% right before a ride though as this does not negatively affect the cells much, it is more about not leaving the cell at 100% for a long period of time than about never letting it reach that charge level.
6. If your battery has a voltage display on it then you can tell that is fully charged based on the voltage readout, we have charts on every listing for each type of battery pack showing what voltage equals what the charge percentage. You can also test the voltage with a multimeter directly from the discharge connector.
7. You can best care for the battery by not running it all the way down to zero, for the best care of it you really want to keep it above 20%. This is where having a large capacity battery is great because you will not be putting it through such a high depth of discharge, thus increasing its cycle life. Another way of caring for the battery is to make sure you use the right type of cell for your application, and if you are using a cell not designed for high amps, try not to pull too much amps from it. So if you are for example using an NCRB pack designed for range, if you want max cycle life maybe don't use it for a high performance application that would be better suited for a cell like GA or 30Q.
8. The voltage listed on your battery is just the nominal voltage, it actually goes higher and lower depending on the charge. The charger outputs at the highest voltage that the battery would reach when fully charged. See the chart on the listing for your particular battery and look at the 100% voltage level, that is about the voltage it should be charging at.
A much better Improvement Over the Stock Battery
Posted by Unknown on Sep 3rd 2017
This battery way outperforms the Sondors stock bottle battery. Better speed and better distance.
Posted by Unknown on Jul 30th 2017
after one year i can say it about 65% performance if consider the first days i tried this battery
Great battery life at a great price
Posted by TJ from Santa Barbara on Jul 21st 2017
So far so good. I replaced an older battery (that cost $800) and this one has better life. I can't measure it but I would say 25% more for half the price. The bracket system was a piece of cake as well.
Fabulous battery with great capacity
Posted by Marvin schmidt on Jun 25th 2017
I have owned a sondors fatty for three months and have put over 300 miles on it. I also own a Stromer st 1. The fatty has become my bike of choice on a daily basis. Living in Michigan on gravel roads I now rarely use my car. I bought the Luna battery to extend my rand
(I only go to level 3 and use pas ) my range with both batteries
Is well over 75 miles and the new Luna is terrific well beyond the
Capacity of range than the stock sondors. I had a lot of questions
And was deliberating on the different battery options. You us
Customer support was exceptional. Well done Luna!!
Posted by Bassocantor on Jun 16th 2017
I was in need of a longer-range battery for my sondors bike. I decided to get one that was form and fit compatible, so I bought this higher-capacity battery from Luna.
The battery was shipped very promptly and carefully. Note that you have to sign for this product when it is delivered, because it is considered hazardous material. Okay I understand that. It takes about 7 hours to fully charge the battery, and then you are ready to go. It installed perfectly and I've taken it for several rides and it works just great.
my review, works good , but they sent me the 13.5 ah by mistake.
Posted by George Parthemer on Apr 16th 2017
works good but they sent the 13.5 by mistake , i can live with that.
Posted by ovidiu ivan on Sep 30th 2016
used almost every day
one charge for about 30km
Take your Sondors to the next level
Posted by Big Jay on Sep 13th 2016
On my stock Sondors bike I could get 12 miles using a combination of pedal assist and throttle. I am a former bodybuilder so I weigh in at 250 pounds. With the upgraded battery I can now easily get over 22 miles. This is nigh and day difference and really transforms the bike and eliminates range anxiety.
Big Difference Between This & The Stock Sonders
Posted by Michael on Sep 7th 2016
What a Difference in miles with this upgrade... still have not done& run on just on battery... the stock i did try& without LCD i did the ride of shame... would not walk...LOL...Very heavy bike to just pedal on... but put this upgraded battery in& with very little pedaling did a ride of over 42 miles& got home with a half filled battery!!!
Bottle 36v battery - super strong - 5 stars
Posted by M on Aug 31st 2016
Very strong - compatible with dillenger 350W 36v electric bike kit - fits to cradle from this kit
I don't give five stars easily..
Posted by Rider of Bike on Aug 14th 2016
This was a replacement for a generic ebike with the same unusual mounting. I have a pedelec, so I have to peddle, with a 20 MPH top assisted speed. On PAS 5, the only one I use because of hilly terrain I get 30 miles. My old battery was 11ah with the same amount of cells gave me 20 miles when new.
There is a feature when the battery gets down to 20% it cuts power down to a PAS 1 instead of just cutting off suddenly. A nice feature for those who don't watch power levels when away from home.
Posted by OV on Jul 2nd 2016
the invoice is for 150 USD but paid 530 CAD. The next review is after testing the battery
Just what I needed.
Posted by John Osborn on May 29th 2016
I appreciate Luna Cycle having a section just for the Sondors upgrades. This battery has increased my range to aprox. 25 miles using PAS 2 or better with the standard battery as a backup.
Great Battery and Service
Posted by Michael Hunt on Mar 11th 2016
I bought this replacement battery and it was damaged on the outside (Shipper probably) I placed in in my bike and it was great. Nice to have a dependable backup battery like this. Customer service is great. They were very helpful and replied right away. great company to buy from..will use again
Nice replacement battery
Posted by Bob W on Nov 29th 2015
Bought this battery as a replacement for a 10A OEM battery on a Tonaro bike. Bracket easily mounted to the aluminum downtube with 3 generic hose clamps since the bike had no water bottle mount. This battery has charge indicators and a nice off-on switch and locking mechanism which works better than the original battery case which was mounted over the rear wheel.
If this battery holds up as advertised it will prove to be a great cost-effective option for someone wanting to replace an unwieldy rear rack mounted battery.
Posted by Unknown on Nov 24th 2015
I have 2 of these for my Sondors bike. I can get over 50 miles off each one using PAS or about 20 miles off each at full throttle. I could not be happier with these batteries
Love the security of an extra battery.
Posted by Dave C. on Oct 30th 2015
Using mostly PAS I got 59.6 miles out of this battery. I like it so much I have ordered a second one. Highly recommend. And this is a very good company to deal with.
It certainly seems to work
Posted by matthew on Oct 26th 2015
I sure wish I had some way to test this product and verify that it is all that and a bag of chips!
It arrived very promptly, and after an overnight charge I ran my usual commute and the handlebar indicator still shows green when the system is at rest. My stock battery goes to yellow or red after that trip. [~ 15 miles of hilly terrain]
There are no working lights on the battery case - unlike the stock battery.
I am not sure of the best charging technique to use on the battery with the stock charger.
There is no label or documentation on the case.
SO - if you are a trusting sort - as I usually am - this might be a great product.