Storm Hot Rod 20 amp Controller 36-52v
This item has been discontinued as it was only usable with Gen 1 fat sondors, and the kt-lcd3 is unavailable. If you would like to buy one as an as-is, all sales final special order, then email support.
Note: This controller needs to be used with our display to show speed, motor power, and remaining battery capacity. May not be compatible with latest sondors bikes. Check to see if your throttle has an on/off switch, if it does not it may not be compatible
- Note: You need buy a KT-LCD3 display for this to work.
- NEW: has mounting bracket so screws in place of old controller
- Plug and play performance boost of Stock Sondors ebike
- Sondors compatible connectors
- 20amps max
- Increases wattage by 30 percent
- Get up to 700 watts with fully charged stock 36 volt battery
- Get 1000 watts with a 52 volt battery
- Significantly improve your performance with a 15 minute upgrade
- Handles a maximum of 60v so you can use 52 volt batteries (read our story on 52 volt performance)
- 3-3/4 x 2-3/8 x 1-3/8"
Increase your stock wattage 20 percent without changing anything but this controller. Ride the Sondors the way it was meant to be ridden.
It has all the connectors of the original Sondors controller including the optional display connector.
Please note you probably have to have KT-LCD3 display for this controller to work. Earlier models of Sondors displays might work but we cannot guarantee it. Many sellers of this display can be found via Google.
We recommend everyone who buys this controller also buys our dash or has another equivalent dash verified to work with it.
- Phase 1 upgrade - Change controller and add display - get a maxmimum of 700 watts with fully charged battery... Keep the stock battery and run at 36 volts
- Phase 2 upgrade - Invest in a Luna 48 volt battery and now you're pumping 900 watts
- Phase 3 upgrade - Change to a Luna 52 volt battery and now you get the maximum this controller can handle which is 1000 watts
We do not recommend you go beyond 1000 watts on the Sondors bike because it will become unreliable with the stock motor and you can possibly damage your motor if you get it too hot.
We feel 1000 watts is a sweet spot with this wonderful bike.
Sondors THIN compatibility
Yes, it is compatible. However it is not a plug-and-play replacement like on the fat bike version, because they changed the wires on the battery. So you would need to add bullet connectors onto your battery, or change the connectors on both sides and put something like an XT-90 on the controller.
If you look at the pictures above you can see that on the controller it has a single red wire and a single black wire, these are the connections to the battery. The connectors that are on them are called bullet connectors. Last we checked the fat version has bullet connectors on its battery, so this would be plug and play unless they changed it in the latest version. The thin bike does not use bullet connectors, it uses an XT 90.
This is what the controller looks like when added to the thin.
You see an XT 90 coming off of the battery and in this instance the individual put a matching XT 90 on the controller where the bullet connectors were. It looks like he did that with crimping but he could've also just as easily done it with soldering or even just taking some wire nuts from Home Depot and putting them together and then covering the whole thing in a bunch of electrical tape. If you do it like that you would probably want to put a little dielectric grease in there too.
This shows how to crimp, it's pretty straightforward. You need a crimper, butt splice (there are crimping kits with varying size butt splices available), heat shrink and XT90. We sell the heat shrink and the XT90 connector that you would crimp on to it if you want to.
Latest Sondors Original Compatibility
On latest sondors models where it is compatible it may be necessary to mount the controller outside of the battery box since the battery box has been slightly changed in such a way that only a thin shaped controller can now fit. Please make sure you are okay with that before placing the order for the controller.