52v Luna DireWolf 21ah Ebike Battery
MADE WITH LOVE IN THE USA
- V2 new design "wireless" design for peak performance and reliability
- Made with top grade LG MJ-1 18650 cells
- 52v 21ah 14s6p - 84 cells
- 1100 watt hours (see our story on calculating range)
- 50amp continuous BMS
- 14.5 lbs
- 14" x 6" x 3"
- For a printable test fit template (Click Here)
Our newest pack was designed to fit in as many bicycle triangles as possible using the Luna Wolf magnetic mounting system.
The new DireWolf pack is made with state of the art technology to make what we feel is the most advanced, safest high performance ebike battery there is.
We believe this pack is the best because of the following:
- Made with authentic top shelf cells, not only name brand but state of the art bleeding edge cells that are expensive but ensure quality, reliability and high performance.
- Water proof and collision proof for the ultimate in reliability, each pack in encapsulated in a military grade polyurethane potting material.
- Wire bonded pack for the ultimate in efficiency and reliability
- A Luna smart BMS (battery management system) that after years of development we feel offers the highest performance with the most reliability and safety of any ebike BMS on the market.
- Each pack is ran through a full charge and discharge before leaving our facility to make sure you are getting every amp hour you paid for
- A brilliantly Engineered mount that not only works very conveniently but also gives you over an inch of extra mounting space in the triangle for the wolf battery.
Premium 18650 Cell Choices
A great battery starts with its bare ingredients. The DireWolf pack is made with 84 of the best cells money can buy. Of course good ingredients are expensive but we spare no expense when it comes to making the high performance DireWolf pack.
Because our packs are made in the USA, we can make sure that the 18650 cells we use are genuine grade A authentic cells. It is not enough that our cells are made by top brands (Panasonic, Samsung, and LG) but we also only use the very top end cells these companies have to offer so that the DireWolf is the ultimate in high performance and reliability.
The LG MJ-1 is a newer cell that offer both the highest energy density and fairly good continuous discharge. According to our sources and test the MJ1 is slightly higher discharge performance than the GA cell.
This is a truly wireless pack, and we do not mean Bluetooth (we believe Bluetooth communicating batteries are unnecessary and will lead to reliability issues).
We construct the DireWolf pack in El Segundo. For a long time we have known that the wires usually running all over a pack are not only an eye sore but we have found them the most common source of failure in our batteries. If one wire vibrates or gets pulled loose somehow the BMS senses a fault and shuts down your pack for good.
For a year we have been simplifying the wire harnesses in our packs until we finally decided the way to "win" wire harnesses is to get rid of it completely. The DireWolf uses circuit boards and bus bars instead of wires to perform BMS functions such as balancing, temperature protection etc. Even the BMS is soldered directly to the side circuit boards so there are no wire loose ends.
What this means is not only do you have a more reliable pack than even the V1 Wolf was, but also with no wires there is no resistance and loss of power because of resistance...so the wireless pack will actually be more efficient and put out slightly more power.
Wire Bonded pack
Of course when we say "wireless", we are not including the wire bonds that connect each cell to the gold plated circuit board. This is a very advanced process and the same process Tesla uses. We use a German made CNC machine which pull tests every connection to make sure it is strong. We have found this is the most reliable way to use CNC to construct a pack and also make sure the connection is strong and the cell is not damaged. Other processes use heat to weld a nickel strip to the cell, this is far less reliable.
Our wire bond process uses ultrasound which is almost heatless and is sure not to damage the cell. All other processes weld a plate to the cell which is not good for the cell and can actually damage the top of the cell.
The wire we use is precision rated for certain amperage, and with it we get the real single cell fusing that other battery makers can only pretend to have.
What advantages does wire bonding offer?
- Reliable strong pack construction that will not vibrate or break loose
- Real single cell fusing
- Consistency in manufacturing to make sure every cell in the pack is consistently attached to the rest of the pack
- Heatless ultrasonic system to add reliability by ensuring the cell is not damaged during assembly
Fully Encased in Potting for the Ultimate in moisture, Water and Collision Resistance
The Wolf pack is encapsulated in a polyurethane to make it run cooler, and also to make it safe from wet weather riding conditions and make it virtually collision proof. You can drop this battery from bike to ground multiple times and not worry about its integrity being compromised.
In a potted pack nothing is coming loose and nothing is corroding inside. This is the only ebike pack we know of safe to ride in the rain.
The DireWolf Pack uses a unique mounting system. The DireWolf has added a precision engineered super strong mount made with stainless steel. You simply attach the plate to your water bottle holes in your frame and the DireWolf snaps in place.
Note: For any curb-jumping or off-roading the battery should also be strapped to the frame to reinforce it.
XT-90 and XT-60 Connector (Double x2 for Redundancy)
One thing we hated about the shark pack was the connectors were not capable of high power and would occasionally make weak connections which would cause them to melt and need to be replaced.
The DireWolf Pack uses XT-90 with spark resister (it does not spark when you plug it in) and an XT-60 for the charge leads. TheDireWolf uses 2 of both connectors as a redundancy, if you lose one you have one more. These connectors make the pack easily removable and at the same time make a very solid connection.
Matching XT90 pigtail is included with this battery so you can add it to your controller if needed.
The second XT90 on the battery can be used to power lights if you like. Just be sure to plug it all the way in or you could damage the connector.
If this battery is bought as a combo deal with a charger the adapter will be included. If bought separately you may need an adapter or to rewire the charger for XT60.
Do not use the XT60 for anything other than charging as it will void your warranty.