Current Top Sellers
NOTE: This has an XT60 Connector, For an Adapter to Work with Your Shark or Dolphin Cases Please Go (here)
- 52V (14S) charger charges to maximum 58.8v
- Smaller and lighter than other 5 amp chargers
- Smart charger keeps your pack safe and maximizes its life span
- Charge to 80% 90% or 100 percent with simple 3 position slider switch (Read about battery longevity)
- Charge fast or slow (1 or 5 amps) with a flick of a 5 position knob (Read about charging speed here)
- High quality fan runs quiet and is reliable
- 110v AC input for North America, click here for our international 240v version
Please click specifications to get more information including important info regarding compatibility. read our online manual here.
Is compatible only with lithium batteries that are designed to maximum charge to 58.8v (all of Luna Cycles 52v 14s 18650 packs)
See our video user manual on this charger here: see video
USER NOTE: Rotary switch: 1 to 5 from the far left will change from 1,2,3,4,5 amp charge current 2 position switch: This changes between 80% 90% or 100% charge capacity
The Luna Charger is Luna Cycle designed charger made for affordability, easy to use, and smart.
We made this charger with a surprisingly small form factor, considering it is a serious 300 watt charger. We had our case anodized sea-blue and had an LED display built onto the face of it. When you plug in the charger, the LED displays the maximum voltage it charges to (58.8 for a nominal 52V pack). After you plug in your battery it tells you what voltage your battery is at, and you can monitor your voltage while charging.
We wanted our charger to be quiet, so we made ours with high quality and reliable fans. From selling other chargers we have realized that cheap fans are the #1 reason for charger failure. Charger failure was our #1 reason for customer support issues last year. Now we will have our own charger that we know is reliable and we can sell with our packs. The Luna Charger is specially designed to maximize 18650 battery pack life by having two very important features:
- It can charge at 1-5 amps (read the benefit of charging slow)
- It can charge your battery to 80% 90% or 100% (Read about battery longevity)
Most importantly the Luna Charger accomplishes both these functions while being very easy to use. Both of these two functions are changeable with a flick of a switch so you don't need to fidget with any digital interfaces to change your charge. No instruction manual needed here. This is a very simple charger to use.
Charge Slow or Fast
We know that charging slow will extend your battery's life but we also know everyone likes (or needs) a fast charge now and then. (read our article on charging fast or slow)
Do Partial Charging
Charge to 80 or 100% percent to really maximize life expectancy
Car manufacturers such as Tesla have proven that if you do not charge your pack to 100 percent every time you ride, you will greatly extend the life of your pack.
The Luna Charger adds life to your pack without taking a wad of money from your pocket.
Additional Information and Specifications
- Charger is configured with reverse polarity, over current, over voltage, and short circuit protections.
- Fuse protected
- Precise limit of voltage and current, intelligent control, and avoids over charge.
- Simple Dual LED indicators : LED 1 shows power is on, LED 2: red shows the battery being charged. Or green shows the battery fully charged (or no load at DC side).
- Voltage display shows the output voltage inside the charger, and the relative voltage of the battery.
- Slider switch allows you to do partial charge, 80 or 100 percent.
How to Operate
1. Check the parameters of the charger and the parameters of the battery to ensure the compatibility of the charger with your battery.
2. If you need to connect your own connector make sure the red cable goes to positive of your connector and the black wire goes to negative.
3. Make especially sure that the chargers maximum voltage is the same as your Batteries maximum voltage. The 48V (13S) chargers max voltage is 54.6V, the 52V (14S) model of chargers max voltage is 58.8V. the 72V (20S) chargers max voltage is 84.0V. Your batteries maximum voltage must match these.
4. Make sure you plug in your charger. When LED 1 is red, it means the power is on.
5. Users can choose how many amps they want their charge current to be with the red toggle on the back of the battery. 5 stands for 5 amps and 3 stands for 3 amps. A small screw driver or Allen key must be used to change this switch.
6. The red switch can partially charge your battery to 80% to prolong its life. We recommend you go to full charge only when you are planning a long ride, and you do not store your battery fully charged. The red switch can be moved with a small screwdriver.
7. When LED 2 Turns red and the fan stops, the battery is fully charged, and the charger will stop charging.
- This charger is configured for use with Luna 18650-cell battery packs. We make no guarantees about compatibility using other batteries. Please be sure the voltage matches your battery. For example only use the 48V charger on a 48V pack.
- Using the wrong voltage charger is dangerous and can be a fire risk!
- It is up to the user to determine if the charger is appropriate for his battery.
- If the charger does not work properly, please make sure the charger and battery are connected properly.
- The voltage display will light up even if you are not plugged into the household current. Look at the red LED on the back of the charger to make sure you are getting power.
- The charger should be used in a well ventilated area.
- The aluminum case is an important part of heat dissipation, make sure it isn't covered up or smothered.
- Check the fuse on the back to see if it is burned.
- Unplug the battery and then plug it back in to reset. (Sometimes this is needed after changing the position of the percentage charge switch)
1. Why is the LED blinking and the fan is cycling on and off?
2. My charger looks different, what is the difference?
3. How do I use this with a hardcase battery pack?
1. When balancing a pack the charger will cycle on and off , this is normal behavior. Note that balancing does not occur every time the pack is charged so this may seem like intermittent behavior.
2. This charger is constantly being improved and updated , the switches and functions have changed slightly over time. To determine the version charger you have click here for the KB article.
3. If you buy this charger as part of a combo with the battery we will know to include an adapter that will make it work, if you buy it by itself then please purchase the adapter so we know to include it
Showing reviews 1-20 of 33 | Next
Posted by David Wesley on Jun 24th 2017
This charge is much better than the older models. more charging options
Posted by Erroneass on Jun 21st 2017
nice charger, quality case, easy to use selector knobs, I am pleased with this charger
Only option that makes sense
Posted by RNL on Jun 1st 2017
Your battery is the most expensive part of your ebike. Not taking good care of it will cost you and could be dangerous. Cheap chargers can blow up (mine did!!) and can damage your battery.
You can adjust the amps and charge %. Those 2 features can double the life of your battery. What's that worth to you?
Posted by Michael T. on May 19th 2017
For the 'Premium, Top Of The Line' charger that LUNA sells, it does the job very well, aspects of of charging are well covered, other than the option of a balance port.
Balance charging can be done on the bare pack with a hobby charger when the leads are installed....
Unfortunately, the sticker on the top of the charger was applied crooked, this makes it look like a cheap eBay discount charger.
Posted by Larry Hammer on Apr 30th 2017
Works great and good quality part inside and out
Posted by Bike Crazy on Apr 16th 2017
Works well. I used it at three amps and it took about four hours to charge and the battery nor the charger ever got hot. and I like the read out so you can see how many volts the battery has charge too. Great product thank Lunar.
Posted by James Hansen on Mar 13th 2017
I am very pleased with this charger. The features are great being able to choose the charging voltage (80/90/100%) and the charging current (1-5 amps) is great. This gives me a lot of control over how I charge the battery. Also having the digital readout is a nice feature to see what my batteries voltage is while charging.
A product that I would be happy to recommend!
over built anodized electric blue beauty WOW!
Posted by thomas anthony cirillo on Feb 23rd 2017
super service & got back to me in short order best charger ive ever used & ive owned 8 or 9 in the 7 years ive been rideing e bikes heavy duty charger monster thank you for being thom cirillo long island new york
You want one
Posted by Nick on Feb 20th 2017
Great charger with all the options including digital volt readout,1-5 amps charge rate,% charge selection and awesome customer service.
This is how a charger should be made
Posted by Bryan Pettett on Feb 10th 2017
I am so tired of those cheap Chinese chargers that die the firs time they get warm. You can see the quality as soon as this arrives and it seems to be worth every penny. The different charge abilities are priceless. It is nice to be able to charge the percentage. If you need a e bike charger or anything else that a charger of this size is necessary then look no further now sure this is all you need.
Posted by Mad Max bike builder on Jan 29th 2017
Makes slow charging and/or partial charging almost completely idiot-proof for us non-engineers.
Posted by dave mac on Dec 27th 2016
One of the things I really like about Luna is there you tube videos showing how to do the most basic stuff like use this charger. Love it guys keep it up.
Me being new to this stuff even the most basic things like charging can bring up questions, and seeing a you tube video on how to use the thing was just so nice.
And the setting this charger comes with really help customize the charger to the users needs.
Posted by Nick on Dec 24th 2016
I love all the features and especially that you can charge at 5 amps when you need a quick charge. After almost a year my early model charger developed a glitch and was promptly replaced by Luna Cycle-way to stand behind your products guys!
Great overall, but two irksome flaws
Posted by Todd on Dec 13th 2016
As far as charging goes, this is a solidly constructed charger - definitely feels more trustworthy and durable than the plastic ones I've worked with in the past.
However, through its usage, I've come across two main problems. Perhaps, if they're general flaws with charger technology, this charger deserves 4 instead of 3 stars - but, even if that's the case, I'd encourage Luna Cycle to try and solve them...
1) Draws 8 watts when nothing is plugged in! That's a lot of vampire power for something that's supposed to help us be more environmentally friendly... and don't just tell me to unplug the charger when not in use, that's poor product design
2) The well-loved "charge to 80%" feature has a flaw that you'll only find out if you read extensively on battery technology.... or your battery starts to fail. Apparently you still have to charge to 100% every 5 charges or so to properly balance your battery, otherwise it gets out of whack and capacity starts dropping quickly. It'd be great if they made this more prominent (perhaps an asterisk on the "charge batteries to 80% to extend longevity*" claim), but it'd be even better if they engineered a solution to this that didn't require users to keep track of the number of 80% charges since the last time they charged to 100%....
Also, note: their claim that it runs "quiet" isn't entirely accurate. It's loud enough to be annoying if you're within a room's distance of it.
Quality is the name here.
Posted by Mark Woods on Nov 25th 2016
This is an advanced charger that lets you charge your battery at 80, 90, or 100 percent. Apparently charging at less than 100 percent can extend the life of the battery. Also it has a LED readout that tells you how many volts your battery is currently charged to. The unit itself is well constructed with a solid feeling aluminum housing and has a cooling fan to protect from overheating. It's just a well made unit.
Best charger, worth the money
Posted by Kelvin Ishigo on Oct 4th 2016
I've been ebiking for 10 years and this is the best charger I've seen. Especially the flexibility to allow maximizing battery life. Also, the fact that the charging plug can be easily swapped. Having experienced an earlier charger having a short out issue at the plug, this feature is appreciated over having to cut and solder if that ever happens.
new and improved
Posted by Scott on Sep 9th 2016
Have only used it once since I received it but must say I really like the improvement in the 80/100 switch- my new one actually has a dial on it that allows it to be set to 80-90-100 % which is soo much better then the old red switch you needed a screwdriver to change.- Good Work Luna!
Posted by Scott L on Aug 12th 2016
I bought this charger with a 52v 10.5ah Shark Pack. I've ended up leaving it set to charge to 80% and at 3A the whole time, so I probably could've just gotten the 48v 3A charger and gotten the same result (charge to 54v). The fan in the charger is pretty loud, so while I'm sure it'll never overheat but I couldn't charge my battery in a coffee shop without getting a lot of looks.
Great So Far
Posted by Unknown on Jul 10th 2016
Suppliers and manufacturers often ask for reviews right after you have bought a product. This doesn't give the buyer a chance to use the product, much less know how it will perform over time, which is one of the most important attributes of any product. So I have used this charger once. It charged the battery slowly, just the way I had set it, and it charged it to the 80% level I had set as the limit. The voltage read out is nice to have, as is the five-position charge rate setting and the choice of either a 100% or an 80% charge. The charger makes a hum just like all chargers. And I like the blue color. That's about all I can tell you so far.
Looks cool, works great
Posted by carl clark on Jul 3rd 2016
This is a nice item, quality feeling with a dash of radio shack geek.
Showing reviews 1-20 of 33 | Next